Licensing Agents

Who must become a License Agent, and why?

Veterinarians, veterinary hospitals, animal shelters, boarding kennels, groomers and any other animal service providers or retailers located in the City of Philadelphia are required to dispense and accept license applications.

Service providers must verify an animalís license before providing service. If a dog is unlicensed, the service provider should offer and collect a license application and fee from the customer. For dog owners that refuse, service providers must require that they sign and date a refusal notice, which includes detail on the Cityís license requirements. Copies of completed refusal notices are then submitted to ACCT Philly by the service provider.

What dogs must be licensed?

All dog owners residing in the City of Philadelphia must obtain a license for their dog. Dogs 4 months and older must be licensed. Dogs purchased outside the City but brought to reside in the City must also be licensed. This does not apply to visitors keeping a dog within the City for no longer than 60 days.

How do I become a dog License Agent?

Service providers must submit a License Agent Registration to ACCT Philly. After we receive your registration form, we will provide you with license applications, tags, and instructions. License Agents may be required to complete an annual kennel registration with the City of Philadelphia. See Kennel Registration for details.

How do I sell a license?

The pet owner should fill in the owner and pet information on the application and provide payment. The service provider should fill in the payment amount, tag # issued, and date. Please fill in the rabies dates if available, however the rabies information is not required.

Service providers may charge a processing fee over and above the license fee of up to a maximum of $2.00 to dog owners for issuing the city license.

The applications and payment should be forwarded at least monthly to the following address:
Animal Care & Control Team
Attn: Dog Licensing
PO Box 46865
Philadelphia PA 19160-6865

How do I reorder supplies?

After submitting a License Agent Registration you will be mailed tags, applications, and reporting instructions. When it's time for a reorder, supplies can be requested online.
Copyright © 2023 ACCT Philly.